Week 2: Southern Colonies & Northern Colonies

Go down

Week 2: Southern Colonies & Northern Colonies

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Choose 1 Topic:

• Describe the effect of slaves and tobacco on the Southern Colonies.
  • Describe religion in the Northern Colonies in the 17th century. How do you think beliefs from this time period continue to affect American culture?

Rules:

1. Please answer the discussion questions in your own words.
  2. You may use quotations if you like, but you must cite your sources.
  3. Responses to the main topic should be 100 words or more.
  4. Responses to other students should be 50 words or more.
  5. Be polite!

Last edited by Admin on Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://texasamkorea.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

The effect of slaves and tobacco on the Southern Colonies.

Post by DeShawn the gangster on Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Tobacco is the most important crop at that time. It helped Southern Colonies to grow fast and strong. At the first Jamse town colonisits were starving. Because they didn’t have to work in England so they didn’t know how to grow crops. Also they didn’t have enough supplies. Moreover, they were fighting Algonquians. So they had hard time but they had been stron since they were growing tobacco. Tobacco was loved by European. So European bought tobacco from southern colonies. So Tobacco brought to them power, money and slaves. Also these things helped them more powerful.

DeShawn the gangster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 2: Southern Colonies & Northern Colonies

Post by user5aea6f00c619e on Sat May 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Tobacco affected alot in Southern colonies. In that time, tabacco was famous and expensive in Europe. First, English started to grow tobaccos with using indentured servants (Virgina). More nothern part at California, English started to grow sugarcane. It was hard to grow sugarcane, so they started to use salves from Africa and Barbados. More than 80% of population was slaves in that time. Slaves were also used to grow tobacco. Slaves and tobacco were most important to make money for English. Tobacco worth alot in Europe. I think if there was no tobacco in America, English might have not been to America.
-Min Oh-
user5aea6f00c619e

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Describe religion in the Northern Colonies in the 17th century. How do you think beliefs from this time period continue to affect American culture?

Post by SJ_blackpanther on Sun May 13, 2018 12:30 am

Nowadays in the USA, there are many race and religion. Each race and religion does not get involved to others. I think this systems are belong to 18th Century's Northern Colonies. While many people settled to Northern America such as Pennsylvania and New York, they did not discriminated with religion. As an example, Pennsylvania, Quaters' belief was not to discriminate with other beliefs and they thought all people are equal to encounter the world. The other example, New York, had a lot of races. Many people lived in a peaceful way. Because of the past, in this time, USA were very free about other religion and races.

SJ_blackpanther

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply to DeShawn the Gangster

Post by SJ_blackpanther on Sun May 13, 2018 12:38 am

[quote="DeShawn the gangster"] It seems tobacco plantation was very important to live in power. Mostly, I agree with your opinion. If they were not growing any crops or plant tobacco, they might died easily. As for me, I want to emphasize about the help of Native tribes. If they did not helped any solution about farming, Europeans would have died. Even I want to give compliment to Native tribes because they can did no care but give rescue.

SJ_blackpanther

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeShawn the gangster on Sun May 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Reply to min oh
You said “if there was no tobacco in America, English might have not been to America”. I do not agree with your opinion. They were powerful and greedy. If America didn’t have enough land and climate to grow tobacco, European might find out another way to make money. Then they force slaves to work for them because they wanted to make much money.

DeShawn the gangster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seokbinma on Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 pm

In south colonies, there was lots of slaves from Africa. They captured them in Africa and bring them  to use for growing tabacco. Tabacco was making big money at that time so many farmer start it and because of it there was lot of demand so many people used more slaves. Slave was used in farming so they were just working all day without pay so the increase of tabacco caused more deamand of slave. Also south made sugar and it demanded lots of slaves so they used slave too. England caused special tax on sugar, tobacco. Both are related because both were increased at same time in south.

Seokbinma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seokbinma on Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 pm

reply to SJ
you said every race was peaceful in new york past. It is false because many people in newyork died by war and there was lots of slaves.
If every body was equal there, there should not be slave and racism. In New york, there was many race but every body was not equal at that time.

Seokbinma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ys on Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

In 17th century, Christianity are divided several branches. Firstly, they are divided Protestants and Catholic, and then Protestant is also divided Church of England, Puritans and Quakers. Sometimes they fought or are persecuted another religious sect. For example, in 1656, Quakers came to America to settle in Massachusetts. They believed all people are equal, they can speak to god directly, and their behavior can decide whether they can go heaven or not when they die. However Puritans didn’t like them so they burned Quakers' face with ‘H’ word. Whether it could be hard time for them, finally they could achieve their religion. And finally diversity of religion can be accepted in current America.

ys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ys on Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm

reply to SB
I agree with your opinion. Because tabaccco and sugar made the colonies use a lot of slaves. Also it is true England rose the tax of tabacco. But I’m not sure tabacco and sugar are related. If you explain more information about them, it will better to understand for me.

ys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Religion at Northern Colonies

Post by FLOWON on Sun May 13, 2018 11:28 pm

I think 17th century is a term that religions bloomed at America. After Europians reached to America, there were several religions that were spread out from Europe to America. Obviously Europians were Christian, so most of religions from Europe was Christianity. At first, Puritans who ran away from Protestants in Europe grapped Northern Colonies in America. And them caused that Quakers spread out to Nothern Colonies. Quaker has several strong characteristics that againsted at Puritan. They protected equalibrium and made religion to self-centeredness belief for generalizing religion. This open and receptive religion summoned a lot of cultures. They accepted diversity and caused today’s America.

FLOWON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FLOWON on Sun May 13, 2018 11:45 pm

Rely to YS
I agree with you YS. Christianity reached to America by Europians and it separated in various branches. It causes the divesity of religions in America. Especially, I truly sympathize with your reference of Quakers. Their flexibility affected criticaly to Americans to accept divesity. Thier unique charateristic promoted America’s wide catholicity.

FLOWON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by user5aea6f00c619e on Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 am

Reply deshawn
I think tabacco didnt bring them slaves. I think in that time English just used slaves for growing tabacco, sugar, and cottons. I think they did not use slaves in England, only in America. Also to add more, slaves were good to nobles in that time because they had a baby then that child could be slave so it was also economically good for English.
user5aea6f00c619e

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum