Texas A&M Korea Edu Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 3: Immigrants & Protesters

5 posters

Go down

Week 3: Immigrants & Protesters Empty Week 3: Immigrants & Protesters

Post by Admin Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Why was the Boston Tea Party such a decisive action? Do you agree with the American protesters? What does “Taxation without representation” mean?

Rules:

1. Please answer the discussion questions in your own words.
  2. You may use quotations if you like, but you must cite your sources.
  3. Responses to the main topic should be 100 words or more.
  4. Responses to other students should be 50 words or more.
  5. Be polite!

Last edited by Admin on Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 am; edited 4 times in total

Admin
Admin

http://texasamkorea.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

Week 3: Immigrants & Protesters Empty Re: Week 3: Immigrants & Protesters

Post by Doojin Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:17 pm

People in Boston thought the parliaments, who were supposed to be representing their citizens, were not actually representing the Boston. So they couldn't agree with the taxation that the parliaments decided. They consistently resist against the pressure of British government. Eventually, people decided to boycott all the commodities that came from Britain. And Additionally, few people died during the protest, which is called Boston Massacre. It became the crucial moment that directly led to Boston tea Party. Citizens jumped up to ships and threw all the tea which was worth million dollars.
I can sympathized with their action. Too much suppression always creates a defiance.

Doojin

Back to top Go down

Post by YoonJi Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Boston was the strongest independent tradition. But when the British government tried to take money from Boston Harbor and trade, it faced hostility and rebellion against American citizens. Citizens were also unable to agree with the taxation they had set. Meanwhile, a British customs officer shot at the crowd and killed five of them. This is the Boston Massacre. This event later becomes the decisive cause of the Boston Tea Party. Citizens expressed their resistance by throwing tea into the sea. Too much oppression wakes them up as a result. I think that such a political movement can achieve democratic reform. Because there was such a demonstration, the present America can exist.

YoonJi

Back to top Go down

Post by YoonJi Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Reply to Doojin

His last sentence is impressive. Too much suppression always creates a defiance. This sentence seems to have created all the civil movements of history as a result. The treaty, like the colony at the time, upset them, and political and economic oppression amplified it. I do not know the feelings of the citizens at that time, but I can guess through their boycott.

YoonJi

Back to top Go down

Post by suhan9911 Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Boston Tea Party was a decisive action in America in that time period. It was decisive for both America and Great Britain. For America, they were fighting to reduce the tax rate in America which Great Britain higher in America. It showed to other states that America needs to fight against it so they don't have to lose much money they make. On the other side, Great Britain didn't like it and looked it as fighting against the king's command. SO it brought big change into Boston and made people suffer for a short period of time. Many people in Boston thought Boston tea party was the wrong action but many thought it was right action and they needed to fight for their freedom.

suhan9911

Back to top Go down

Post by suhan9911 Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:05 am

Doojin wrote:People in Boston thought the parliaments, who were supposed to be representing their citizens, were not actually representing the Boston. So they couldn't agree with the taxation that the parliaments decided. They consistently resist against the pressure of British government. Eventually, people decided to boycott all the commodities that came from Britain. And Additionally, few people died during the protest, which is called Boston Massacre. It became the crucial moment that directly led to Boston tea Party. Citizens jumped up to ships and threw all the tea which was worth million dollars.
I can sympathized with their action. Too much suppression always creates a defiance.

I like how detail Doojin gave about parliaments. It reminded me about more detail background relationship between American Colonist and Great Britain. The incorrect relationship between Parliaments and them not doing what they should do, like protecting and giving rights to American Colonist. I also agree with how he can sympathize people in Boston. There shouldn't be too much suppression.

suhan9911

Back to top Go down

Post by JaehoHwang Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:11 pm

“Taxation without representation” It was motto of colonist group sons of liberty. They thought that Britain didn’t have right to tax them because there was no American representative in British parliament. I can know understand why Americans felt unreasonable to pay the tax to the country where there is no representative, which doesn’t know circumstance of their colony. Boston tea party was I think wise decision. It actively showed Britain that colonists will not tolerate with unreasonable circumstance anymore, and I think it made America to be top position of that relationship.

JaehoHwang

Back to top Go down

Week 3: Immigrants & Protesters Empty Reply to Yoonji

Post by JaehoHwang Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:53 am

I agree with her argument, Boston tea party made America to gain their freedom. It was stepping stone of their revolution. I think colonists needed spark to start fire and Boston tea party set fire to revolution and independence.

JaehoHwang

Back to top Go down

Week 3: Immigrants & Protesters Empty reply

Post by Doojin Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:24 pm

JaehoHwang wrote:“Taxation without representation” It was motto of colonist group sons of liberty. They thought that Britain didn’t have right to tax them because there was no American representative in British parliament. I can know understand why Americans felt unreasonable to pay the tax to the country where there is no representative, which doesn’t know circumstance of their colony. Boston tea party was I think wise decision. It actively showed Britain that colonists will not tolerate with unreasonable circumstance anymore, and I think it made America to be top position of that relationship.

Like he said, Americans thought the taxation was not a proper decision because the representatives didn't knew much about the American circumstances. British didn't see the bigger picture. Since they needed money immediately, they kept urged America colonies, which eventually made them to feel hostile against British. If they didn't, America could have became the best trade partner of Britain.

Doojin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down