Week 7: Slaves & Fugitives

Go down

Week 7: Slaves & Fugitives

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Choose 1 topic:

• Describe life on plantations. Do you think this culture continues to permeate the Southern states? Give examples to support your opinion.
  • What was the Fugitive Slave Act? How did it hurt relations between the Northern States and the Southern States?

Rules:

1. Please answer the discussion questions in your own words.
  2. You may use quotations if you like, but you must cite your sources.
  3. Responses to the main topic should be 100 words or more.
  4. Responses to other students should be 50 words or more.
  5. Be polite!

Last edited by Admin on Tue May 01, 2018 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://texasamkorea.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 7: Slaves & Fugitives

Post by SJ_blackpanther on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Topic : What was the Fugitive Slave Act? How did it hurt relations between the Northern States and the Southern States?

In South, the slave owner had rights to return back their slaves when the slaves were escape to other states especially North. When these escaped slaves were caught, they can be ruled by owner what they want. Usually slaves got punished such as hit, harsh their body, or even cut their part of the body. However, Northerners who supports about prohibiting slavery, did not like this act. Because of the different opinion of ruling slaves, situation made relations worse. I think this situation was really bad of making their relationships because it usually happened in North States, and Northerners could not help of this slaves. They were not comfortable so as for North, it becomes worse.

SJ_blackpanther

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ys on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:54 am

Topic: Describe life on plantations. Do you think this culture continues to permeate the Southern states? Give examples to support your opinion.
Plantation is a large scale farm that specializes in cash crops. Such as cotton, coffee or tobacco. Those crops grow easily so at that time, many plantation owners raised them. African slaves were used extensively to work on early plantations such as tobacco, rice, cotton, and sugar plantations in the United States. Slaves had to work all day long. They didn’t have enough time to rest and treated like properties. Also some of them couldn’t meet their families because each members of families were sold out to other plantation owners. In my opinion, slavery doesn’t exist anymore but the culture that black people are treated contemptuously still exists. Because some white people still think black people are inferior then white people because black people were slaves in 17 century.

ys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ys on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 am

Reply to SJ
I think your explanation of Fugitive Slave Act is accurate. Because of Fugitive Slave Act, Northerners had to return back the escape slaves to south, even though they didn’t support this act. Also I agree with your opinion about relationship between Northern state and Southerner state. Northerners didn’t agree with this law but it happened a lot in Northern state so it could be a serious problem.

ys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Plantation

Post by DeShawn the gangster on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:57 am

Plantation means a huge farm. At that time plantAtion marsters grow some crops such as corn, tobacco and weed. Especially they grow lot of cotton. Because cotton brings them a great deal of money. Before cotton gin was invented, it was hard to seperate so it took a lot of slaves. In plantation, there were so many slaves. Each slave had a role. Some slaves grew crops, some slaves work at kichen. Rarely a slave work as a slave driver. It was kind of overseer. At that time, slaves were treated very bad. After petanalism, they were treated well better than before but still they were treated as slaves.

DeShawn the gangster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeShawn the gangster on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:06 am

Reply to Y.S aka Blue
I agree with your opinion about at that time’s plantation life.
But I think, nowadays Slavery is still exist. Of coures, we don’t call it ‘slavery’ anymore. But there are still so many discrimination. There are so many workers. But most workers are treated very bad. I think, it is also kind of slavery. Also we have learned about modern days slavery in Caoimhe’s class. All over the world, many people work all day with no payment. So I think, nowadays, there are many different kind of slavery.

DeShawn the gangster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by user5aea6f00c619e on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 am

Min Oh
Life in the plantation was only for rich people. They used slaves to cultivate crops and manage plantation. In contrast, White people mostly did not had hard jobs in planation, they only manage and oversee slaves. In the movie ‘12years a slave’, mostly slaves were collecting cottons, if they didn’t collect enough amount , they were punished but not for white. There were discriminations toward black and women not only for slaves. Using slaves had more benefits to rich people than using paid workers but slaves weren’t paid. They should have treated better than paid workers. It was terrible era for slaves to live in plantations.

Sent from Topic'it App
user5aea6f00c619e

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by user5aea6f00c619e on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:50 am

Reply Ys

I agree that slaves werent treated well by their masters. It was really terrible because masters knew that they were doing and treating bad to slaves. However, they continued because using slaves is economically good for them.
But you didnt talked about some discriminations toward slaves. Even if they werent slaves they were treated bad because masters thought they were above them and slaves were mostly black.

Sent from Topic'it App
user5aea6f00c619e

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply to DeShawn the Gangster

Post by SJ_blackpanther on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I think you wrote exactly what was happened to slaves, the thing they did, and how they treated. When the plantation was activated, slaves were the most needed things to cultivate. Also they had system about doing work such as slave driver. It was not right thing to control people as a slave, but it was also inevitable things to do at that time.

SJ_blackpanther

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down